Friday, July 18, 2014

Wholey Hard

I think it is safe to say that breakfast is the hardest meal to stick to 100% whole 30.  I hate not being able to have yogurt and I can only have so many eggs before getting bored.  Even fruit is getting boring only five days in.  I can say with full confidence that as soon as I am done I will be re-introducing dairy and grains of the non-gluten variety.  I will limit both but this this strict no cheating allowed situation is not for me.

As continue to go through this I have found that my thinking is changing a bit.  I am still positive that gluten is bad news...really bad news.  I have done so much reading and research about gluten since Julia's Celiac Disease diagnosis.  I am convinced that nothing good comes from gluten, even in small amounts.  As for everything else (grains, dairy, legumes etc.),  well, I am not convinced that the occasional ingestion of any of these could be a bad thing.

I think that when all is said and done when it comes to health and diet, the best advice I have ever heard is "everything in moderation."  I also believe that when dining out and cooking at home even, the opportunity to make better choices is always there.  In the past, I have always chosen "easier."   I know I can choose "better for me."

So, I am not sure where I am at with this whole 30 thing right now.  There are a few things I do know.

1.  I will not be re-introducing gluten in to my diet.

2.  I will continue to make water my drink of choice with an occasional glass of wine/beer and the once a day cup of coffee which I will sweeten with coconut milk and oil only.  I will not be drinking soda in any form or variety.

3. My dairy intake will consist of the occasional yogurt, milk in a bowl of gluten free cereal on occasion, butter in limited quantities (like when used in baking for example), cheese every once in a while.

4. Fried, greasy foods will be so infrequent that I should practically consider them eliminated from my diet.  I am not however going to deny myself the very once in a while indulgence.

And the biggest thing of all...

5.  I WILL be more thoughtful about my food.  I will allow myself the time to plan and make positive decisions about what I am cooking/eating.  I will make smarter choices when dining out.

No comments:

Post a Comment