Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Whole-y Harder

Today was day two on the Whole 30 Plan, and it was definitely harder than day one.  I had the same breakfast and lunch as yesterday.  I think that may have been part of the reason is was more difficult today; I think the only way to keep on track will be to have more of a variety.  So to that end I spent the morning looking at recipes with a focus on "plan-safe" snacks.  I came up with a few that I think I will try.

I also spent some time on Twitter (@wholeyfood is where you can follow me there) adding contacts and scanning through the various tips and suggestions of those I follow.  I forgot how much I love Twitter for quick and to the point bulletins!

For dinner tonight I had a turkey burger (sans bun) with cucumbers and cantaloupe.  I sprinkled a small amount of seasoned salt on both the cucumbers and cantaloupe.  Have you ever had salt on cantaloupe?  I discovered this awesomeness by accident when a restaurant served french fries with a side of cantaloupe  and some of the salt ended up on it.  So delicious.  Even though the whole 30 plan doesn't have much to say on the salt front (except that it is ok to have it considering how much salt you are cutting out by avoiding processed and packaged foods), I only sprinkled a small amount.  

So far, I can honestly say I am not missing the sugar in my coffee (which I almost just typed as coffee in my sugar so that should be a pretty good indication of how much I used to add to my coffee).  I haven't missed the grains much either yet.  Eating a burger without a bun was uneventful.  Not having a bowl of cereal for breakfast is...fine. It is weird not drinking milk or having a yogurt but so far that's it.  I can see how snacking might eventually lead to major grain cravings so I will continue to come up with plan safe snacks to help avoid the temptation.

I hope that as I go along I will "trust myself" more and not question my will power as much.  I turned down two invitations to eat outside of my home tonight.  I am not ready to face that kind of temptation yet (despite the options available I know I am not at the point yet where I will make smart decisions while out).   I think when I start to see and feel the results of my efforts, it will boost my "I can do this" and going out and ordering smart will just be what I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment