Sunday, July 13, 2014

Whole-y Moly.

So...after doing a ridiculous amount of reading including, Grain Brain, Wheat Belly and It Starts with Food, I am about to start the Whole 30 diet. It is similar to Paleo but a bit more strict. It's a thirty day reset in which you eliminate added sugar (real or fake), alcohol, grains, legumes, and dairy. You can reintroduce any of these slowly after that time period but you don't have to. I know already that I will be reintroducing dairy (if it makes me feel yucky then I will eliminate it again) and maybe the occasional glass of wine and/or beer (which is what normally do anyway...barely ever drink alcohol as it is).  I am also not "allowed" to weigh or measure myself for the thirty day time period (except for one time tomorrow when I start and of course after the thirty days to see what difference there may be).  I am not doing this for just the reason of weight loss though.  My reasons are many.  Will this clear up the eczema on my legs?  Will I feel less scattered?  Will I be happier?  Will the fact that I have stuck with something for the full time be an amazing boost of confidence and motivate me to keep going?  All of this remains to be seen.  There is however, evidence to show that some or all of these things may be true after finishing the Whole 30.   I am looking forward to seeing what it means to me.  At the very least I will have successfully tested my ability to say no and make better choices in regard to food and life in general. 

I have no false illusions that this will be easy in any way but it is only for thirty days. Lately, I feel so "unchallenged" in my life; more like I am not challenging myself enough. I figured this would be the perfect jump start and a way to reset my body/metabolism etc. I have long believed that we should be going back to our "roots" when it comes to eating. Nothing is the same as it used to be with food...and there is nothing good to be said about all of the "processing" food goes through today.  Things that are supposed to be "natural" no longer are.  Don't even get me going on all of the negative effects of the "fake" sugars. 

 I am documenting this experience here.  I am going to include recipes, thoughts on how difficult it is, how hard has it been for me to better plan my food (one of my biggest challenges is lack of planning when it comes to eating), as well as how I am feeling physically and emotionally as I go through. And...I plan to be brutally honest (it's great, it stinks, I feel wonderful, I feel like crap, etc).

I finally feel like I am in the right head space to continue in this way on this journey to wellness- to improve and really take care of myself.  I have done a lot in the past year for my mental well-being.  To say that was a challenge (still is sometimes)  is putting it mildly.  There has been a lot of mental hard work and it continues to pay off.  Slowly but surely my confidence is building and this will be one more step in the right direction in a year that has been full of forward steps.   Thoughts, comments, support and well wishes are welcomed and encouraged.

Whole 30 Day 1 starts tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment